- 19 Dec 2022
- 6 Minutes à lire
- Mis à jour le 19 Dec 2022
- 6 Minutes à lire
Intercom is a conversational and messenger-based business solution provider. It is a SaaS product that enables effective customer communication using chatbots, live messaging, etc.
You can use Intercom with Document360 to provide real-time support for your website users by searching and sharing articles (link or article content) from your Document360 Knowledge base within the Intercom chat box.
In this article, you can find answers to questions such as:
- How to integrate Intercom with Document360?
- How to remove Intercom integration from the Knowledge base?
- What are the feature highlights of Intercom integration?
- How to search and share Knowledge base articles in Intercom?
- How to search the Knowledge base articles in Intercom?
- How to create a Knowledge base article in Intercom?
How to integrate the Intercom with the Knowledge base?
Intercom works hand-in-hand with the Document360 app. Document360 users can incorporate the Intercom messenger into their knowledge base and add the Document360 app to their Intercom workspace to enjoy its full potential.
Step 1 - Get the Intercom app ID
The app ID, also called the workspace ID, is a unique alphanumeric code assigned to your intercom application at the time of creation.
There are two ways to acquire the app ID
- Login to your Intercom account
- Now in the page URL, you can find the app ID after /apps/
In the above example, you can see that the unique app ID is o8nqlawz
- After logging in to your intercom workspace, place your mouse pointer on the profile icon in the bottom left corner of the navigation menu.
- Click Settings → Installation → Web
Step 2 - Set up Intercom integration in Document360
- After you copy the Intercom App ID
- Head back to the Document360 Knowledge base portal,
- Go to Settings → Knowledge base site → Integrations
- Click on Add new integration button on the top and select Intercom
- In the description field, enter a name or any text
- In the Intercom ID field, paste the copied app ID
- Click Add
Once you have successfully integrated Intercom with the Document360 platform, the Intercom messenger icon is added to your Knowledge base site.
Step 3 - Install the Document360 app on the Intercom.
Visit the Intercom App store after logging into your Intercom workspace account. Search for the Document360 app, and click on the Install button.
After the app has been successfully installed in your workspace, you will require an API key to complete the configuration. To obtain this API key from Document360, head back to the Document360 Knowledge base portal and follow the below steps.
How to generate the API key?
- Click on Settings → Knowledge base portal → Extensions → Helpdesk
- In the Intercom extension widget, click on the ⊕ button to generate the API key
- Click the Copy icon next to the generated token
- Paste the copied API token in Intercom to complete the integration
1. Search for and share articles in chat response
When a customer or website user tries to initiate the chat support conversation by clicking on the Intercom messenger icon on your web page, you will get a notification on the Intercom workspace. As usual, your support agent or you respond to the conversations from the Intercom workspace.
Sometimes, you would search and share an article with the user on the other end. Follow the below steps in that instance:
- Click the Document360 icon, and a small search window appears
- Type the keyword or question in the search bar and click the > button or press Enter
- The top three relevant articles from your knowledge base are listed
- If there are more relevant articles, click on the see more option
- Click on the intended article, and it will be inserted in your chat window as a widget
- Hit either Send (or) Send and close button
- The customer receives the article widget
- The article will open in a separate tab when the customer clicks on the widget
Now you can respond by either searching and sharing an article from the knowledge base (or) sending an Article search app widget in which the customers can search for the articles from the Knowledge base.
Hyperlink's appearance and display changes
When a hyperlink of an article is sent through the intercom chat widget, it opens in the intercom chat box on the user site, unlike previously when the hyperlinked article opened in a new browser tab.
2. Article search app widget
1. Click the Document360 icon, and a small search window appears
2. Without typing anything in the search bar, click on the Add search widget button
3. Now, a search widget appears in the chat window for the customers. With this widget, customers can type in the search terms and find articles from the knowledge base
3. Create an article from Intercom and see it added in Document360
Apart from searching and sharing an article with the users, you or your agent might also need to add an article from the Intercom workspace to your knowledge base.
Follow the steps below to create an Intercom article that directly reflects your Document360 portal.
1. Click on the Document360 icon found on the chat response options in line with the send button
2. A small Document360 app widget opens, where you can find the Create an article option with two text fields and a dropdown field
3. Fill in the fields
4. Click the Create Article button
This creates an article in your knowledge base portal in Draft status.
How do you configure the search and create an article Intercom function for specific Document360 versions and languages?
Follow the below steps to select/modify specific versions and language in your document360 knowledge base to connect with the intercom messenger.
1. From your Knowledge base portal, click Settings → Extensions → Helpdesk → Intercom
2. Select a specific version and language from the dropdown and click the tick mark to save the changes
This enables the search and creates article function from Intercom for only the specific version and language in the Document360 portal.
How to remove Intercom messenger from the Knowledge base?
Removing an integrated Intercom messenger from your Knowledge base is much simpler than setting it up.
- From the Knowledge base portal, Go to Settings → Knowledge base site → Integration.
- Hover the mouse pointer over Intercom, and click the Delete (Trash) icon next to the Edit button
- Click Delete in the confirmation prompt.
The Intercom Messenger is removed from your Knowledge base site.
How to Enable/Disable Integration?
You can turn on/off integrations on your knowledge base without completely deleting the integration. On the integration overview page, you can find a toggle bar for Status adjacent to each integration. Click on the button to turn on/off the active integrations.
1. Click, Settings → Knowledge base site → Integrations
2. Enable/Disable the desired Status toggle
Why 'Invalid API token' error appears?
You would have pasted the wrong API token. To generate an API token for Intercom integration
1. From the Knowledge base portal, click Settings → Knowledge base portal → Extensions → Helpdesk
2. Under the Intercom widget, click the Generate (or) Re-generate icon
3. The API token will be generated and click Copy to copy the token