You can customize your folders and subfolders in your Drive to a certain extent.
When segregating folders for your knowledge base assets, it would be easier for you to store, maintain, and retrieve files if your folders and subfolders are the same as your documentation categories and subcategories.
Renaming a folder
You can change the existing name of a folder or subfolder.
- From the knowledge base portal, go to Drive
- Navigate to the folder location
- Select the ••• more options next to the desired folder
- Select the Rename option
- Type in the new name and click on the Rename button
Moving a folder
You can move your folders and subfolders inside the Drive.
There are two ways to execute the move function
- In the center panel (expanded view of folders and files) click on the ••• more options next to the folder(s) (only in List view)
- Select the Move option (or) Select the folder(s) (similar in both list view and grid view), the move option along with other options appears on the top
- Select the Move option and a blade window appears on the right with the other folders and subfolders listed
- Select the desired folder or subfolder. You can also filter the folder with keywords
- Click the Move button at the bottom right
You can also use the left navigation panel to move your folders amongst other main folders and subfolders.
- Just click and hold on the folder, drag it, and place it in the new location.
- To move a folder inside the main folder, you can click on the folder, drag it, drop it right on the folder.
Copying a folder
Similar to move, you can also copy any folder(s) to any other location within the Drive.
- In the expanded view center panel, select the folder(s) you want to replicate (works in both list and grid view).
- From the options above, select Copy and a blade window appears on the right with the other folders and subfolders listed
- Select the folder or subfolder you want the original folder to be copied into. You can also filter the folder with keywords
- Click the Copy button at the bottom right
☆ Starred folder(s)
You can add your main folder(s) or subfolder(s) as a Starred entity. This means that the folder marked as starred appears when you click on the Starred option at the top of the left navigation panel, irrespective of the folder’s location in the drive.
There are three ways to mark your folder(s) as starred
- Select the folder(s) in the center panel(works in both list or grid view ) and then select the ☆ Add to starred option from the option at the top
- In the center panel(only in list view), select the folder
- Click on ••• more option next to the folder and select the ☆ Add to starred option
- In the left navigation pane, click on the ••• more option next to the folder and select ☆ Starred option
As soon as you mark any folder as starred, you can differentiate it from the other folders by the ★ indication next to the folder.
You can use similar steps as adding to starred to remove a folder from starred. Select the folder(s) and click on the ★ Remove from starred option.
Change folder color
You can change the folder color to any given or custom color. This comes quite handy when you want to differentiate one folder from another or when you color codes it. The default folder color is Gray.
- In the left navigation pane, click on the ••• more option next to the folder and select the Change color option.
- You can choose from the color palette with all the commonly used colors. If you want to add any custom color, enter the required color’s Hex code or use the color picker.
You can download the folder and its content onto your local storage.
- Select the folder(s) on the center panel (works in both list view and grid view style)
- Select the Download option at the top
- The folder(s) is(are) downloaded as a compressed folder (.zip format) in your local storage
Removing or deleting a folder
You can remove or delete folders and subfolders from the Drive easily. Make sure you’re removing the correct folder.
- In the left navigation pane, click on the ••• more options next to the folder you want to delete
- Select Remove
- Click on Yes in the Delete confirmation prompt
Are you sure to delete the selected file(s)?
Once deleted, all the corresponding reference links of the media files will be broken. Please note it will take up to 1 minute to clear the CDN cache.
You can also remove or delete a folder from the center panel.
- Either click on the ••• more options, next to the folder (only in List view) (or) select the particular folder(s) (works in both list view and grid view)
- Click on Remove option at the top
- Click on Yes in the Delete confirmation prompt
If you have accidentally removed or deleted any folder from the Drive, you can always retrieve it from the Recycle bin (up to 30 days from deletion) of the Drive.
You cannot remove or delete the system folders. You can identify these folders by the shield symbol on the folder icon
Bulk folder actions
You can perform different actions on more than one folder at a time. This saves time when you want to perform these actions for a greater number of folders in your drive.
- In the center panel, select the folders you want to perform a bulk operation and perform the different actions available at the top
Move, Copy, Download, Add to starred, and Remove
You can find the Breadcrumb of a folder or subfolder at the top of the center panel. Breadcrumb is the hierarchical navigation path starting from the root directory.