Using article versions
- Mis à jour le 20 May 2020
- 2 Minutes à lire
Article versions are an important safeguard for any documentation or article that’s continually being updated and revised by multiple contributors.
In Document360, any time a project member clicks the Edit button on a published article, a new, unpublished version of that article is created, and the old version is added to the article’s version history, but remains live until the new version is published. This allows project admins and contributors to compare differences between versions and revert to a previous version at any time.
Creating an article version
There are two ways to create a new version of an article:
- Open a published article in the Documentation Editor and click Edit in the top right of the editor. This creates a new version and opens it as a draft in the text editor.
- Open the View History menu (the clock icon) in the top left of the editor and click Fork on any version listed in the history. This action will create a new version of the article at that point in time, and add it to the version list. To edit the new version, click Open.
When you view an article draft in the text editor, you’ll notice two version indicators in the bottom toolbar: Current Version and Public Version. The current version is the version you’re editing. Public Version is the version currently published.
For example, you may be editing version 3 while version 2 is public.
Using article versions
There are three actions you can take on article versions:
- Fork: Creates a new version of the article at that point in time, and adds it to the version list.
- Delete: Deletes that article version.
- Open: Opens the version of that article at that point in time, old or new, in the text editor.
You can make any previous version of an article public by opening that version and clicking Publish.
You can also see detailed information about each version including the version number, the author, when it was created and which version is public.
Viewing differences between each article version
You can open any two versions at any point in an article’s version history and compare them.
To compare versions:
- Open the View History menu.
- Select two versions to compare by clicking their checkboxes.
- Click View Diff.
The difference viewer displays the older version on the left and the newer version on the right. Content that’s been removed will be represented in red font, content that’s been added is represented with green font.
There are four different ways to view differences between versions:
- Code Diff: View both versions in markdown.
- Rendered Diff: View both versions as a preview.
- Choose a version to view it in both Markdown and preview modes.