Private notes are text elements that, though included within the article text, will not show on public articles except for project team accounts and specific reader groups. These notes can be added in both the Markdown and WYSIWYG editors.
The private notes get selective visibility setting when used from the WYSIWYG editor.
Using private notes
Private notes are perfect for telling a project team member when a bit of information might need to be double-checked or to even leave an editorial note to yourself with future improvements.
They also come in handy when you want to leave extra contextual information for other project team members who might use the same documentation as your customers.
1. Private notes on Markdown editor
Click the private notes icon from the Markdown toolbars in the Documentation editor.
:::(Internal) (Private note title)
Add private note text only visible to team accounts.
The title and content of the private note can be edited.
Here is how the private note appears in the knowledge base site
For team accounts & authorized readers
On Public, Private, and Mixed access knowledge base sites.
For other site visitors
On Public and Mixed access knowledge base sites.
Delete private note
To remove the private note from the article or category page, delete the syntax from the editor.
A private note cannot be deleted on a published article or category page and the preview pane.
2. Private notes on WYSIWYG editor
Click the private notes icon from the WYSIWYG toolbars in the Documentation editor.
Once the private note appears in the article, the Visibility setting and Delete icon appears on the top-right of the note.
Click on the Setting (gear icon) on the private note. A popup window appears with three options.
- All team accounts - This is the default setting when adding a private note. If the toggle is turned on, the private note appears to all the team accounts added to the project.
- Security groups - Click on the dropdown arrow to view and select all the team account group(s) available in the project.
- Reader groups - This option applies only on Private and Mixed mode knowledge base. Click on the dropdown arrow to view and select all the reader group(s) available in the project.
Delete private note
To remove the private note from the article or category page, click on the Delete (Trash bin) icon inside the note.
A private note cannot be deleted on a published article or category page. Click on the Edit icon.