- 24 Dec 2021
- 4 Minuten zu lesen
- Aktualisiert am 24 Dec 2021
- 4 Minuten zu lesen
IP restriction provides an additional level security for the knowledge base by either restricting or allowing access to user-designated IP addresses.
This is a project-level setting. When a certain IP restriction is enabled, it would apply across all the version(s) and language(s) available in that respective project.
What is an IP address?
IP address stands for internet protocol address; it is an identifying number that is associated with a specific computer or computer network. When connected to the internet, the IP address allows the computers to send and receive information.
An IP address consists of four numbers, each of which contains one to three digits, with a single dot (.) separating each number or set of digits. Each of the four numbers can range from 0 to 255.
For example, 18.104.22.168
Accessing IP restriction
From the knowledge base portal, click on Settings → User & Security → IP restriction
The IP restriction overview page would be available
Users can view the list of existing or already added IP restrictions
The following information about IP restrictions can be found
- Status - The active status of an IP restriction. Use the toggle to turn on/off an already added restriction.
- Friendly name - A name with which you can identify the IP restriction. This field does not have any character limit.
- IP address - The individual IP address or an IP range added for restriction.
- Allow/Block IP - The restriction applied to the respective IP address or range. When the restriction's status is active the Allow label would be green and the Block label would be red. If the restriction's status is inactive both the labels would be in gray.
- Edit & Delete - Users can manage the existing IP restriction by using these two icons. The Edit button would be disabled if the restriction status is inactive. Users can only edit the active restrictions.
The Delete button works for both active and inactive restrictions.
- New IP restriction (Button) - Users can add new IP restriction to the project.
- Allow my IP - Users can add their IP address to the allowed list by clicking on this button. This would automatically detect the device's current IP address and allow access.
New IP restriction
- Click on the New IP restriction button on the IP restriction overview page
- The Add IP restriction blade would open on the right
- Add a name for the IP restriction in the Friendly name field (Mandatory)
- Add an individual IP address or an IP address range
IP address range would involve the start and end range
For example, 22.214.171.1249 - 126.96.36.1990
- Click Allow/Block IP dropdown and select Allow or Block
- Click on the Add button
The newly added IP restriction would be added to the list and available on the IP restriction overview page.
Quick enable/disable IP restriction
Users can turn on/off the Status toggle next to the respective IP restriction to enable/disable the setting.
Allow my IP address
Users can choose to allow their current IP address using two possible ways.
In the IP restriction overview page (Setting → IP restriction), the Allow my IP option can be found on the top-right next to the New IP restriction button. If no IP restriction has been added yet, only the 'Allow my IP' option would be present.
Click on this and the 'Allow my IP' restriction would be live and added to the list.
On the IP restriction overview page, click on the New IP restriction button. In the blade window, users can find the Add my current IP address option above the IP address field.
Click on Add my current IP address and the current IP would be added to the field. Finally, click on the Add button.
Edit or Delete an IP restriction
- From the knowledge base portal, click on Settings → User & Security → IP restriction
- The IP restriction overview page would be available
- Users can view the list of existing or already added IP restrictions
- The Edit and Delete icons would be available for each IP restriction
If the Status toggle of the IP restriction is turned off, then the entire record would be grayed out, and then edit and delete icons would be inactive.
Edit IP restriction
The IP restriction can be updated or changed by clicking on the Edit icon next to the IP restriction. The fields (Friendly name, IP address, Allow/Block IP) would be open for edit. Once the edit is complete, click on the '✔' to save the changes.
Be very careful when performing the edit action. The IP restriction record once changed and saved, would overwrite the existing data.
Delete IP restriction
The IP restrictions can be deleted by clicking on the Delete (trash bin) icon next to the IP restriction, A delete confirmation prompt would display, click on Yes, and the IP restriction would be removed from the list.
Be very careful when performing the delete action. The IP restriction record once deleted cannot be recovered back.