Intercom is a conversational and messenger-based business solution provider. It is a SaaS product that enables effective customer communication using chatbots, live messaging, etc.
You can use Intercom with Document360 to provide real-time support for your website users by searching and sharing articles (link or article content) from your Document360 Knowledge base within the Intercom chat box.
In this article, you can find answers to questions such as:
- How to install the Document360 app on Intercom?
- How to integrate Intercom with Document360?
- What are the feature highlights of Intercom integration?
- How to search and share Knowledge base articles in Intercom?
- How to search the Knowledge base articles in Intercom?
- How to create a Knowledge base article in Intercom?
Installing the Document360 app on Intercom
Log in to the Document360 project you want to associate on Intercom
- Click on Settings → Knowledge base portal → Extensions → Helpdesk
- In the Intercom extension, click on Add to Intercom
- You are redirected to the Intercom page
(If you are not logged in, then the Sign in page on Intercom)
- On the authorization page, click on "Authorize access"
- You are redirected to the Extensions page on Document360
- Click on the "Edit" icon available in the Intercom tile
- Choose the workspace and language from the dropdown
- The selected workspace and language will be added to the Document360 app on Intercom
Uninstalling the Document360 app on Intercom
If you wish to map another Document360 project with the Document360 app on Intercom, you have to uninstall and reinstall the configuration.
- Navigate to the Intercom platform
- Click on the App Store from the left-side menu
- Click on the Document360 app, and a popup appears
- Scroll to the bottom and click on Uninstall
Now you can reinstall the Document360 app from the Document360 portal again
1. Search for and share articles in chat response
When a customer or website user tries to initiate the chat support conversation by clicking on the Intercom messenger icon on your web page, you will get a notification on the Intercom workspace. As usual, your support agent or you respond to the conversations from the Intercom workspace.
Sometimes, you would search and share an article with the user on the other end. Follow the below steps in that instance:
- Click the Document360 icon, and a small search window appears
- Type the keyword or question in the search bar and click the > button or press Enter
- The top three relevant articles from your knowledge base are listed
- If there are more relevant articles, click on the see more option
- Click on the intended article, and it will be inserted in your chat window as an assistant
- Hit either Send (or) Send and Close button
- The customer receives the article assistant
- The article will open in a separate tab when the customer clicks on the assistant
Now you can respond by either searching and sharing an article from the knowledge base (or) sending an Article search app assistant where the customers can search for the articles from the Knowledge base.
Hyperlink's appearance and display changes
When a hyperlink of an article is sent through the intercom chat assistant, it opens in the intercom chat box on the user site, unlike when the hyperlinked article opened in a new browser tab.
2. Article search app assistant
1. Click the Document360 icon, and a small search window appears
2. Without typing anything in the search bar, click on the Add search assistant button
3. Now, a search assistant appears in the chat window for the customers. With this assistant, customers can type in the search terms and find articles from the knowledge base
3. Create an article from Intercom and see it added in Document360
Apart from searching and sharing an article with the users, you or your agent might also need to add an article from the Intercom workspace to your knowledge base.
Follow the steps below to create an Intercom article that reflects your Document360 portal.
1. Click on the Document360 icon found on the chat response options in line with the send button
2. A small Document360 app assistant opens, where you can find the Create an article option with two text fields and a dropdown field
3. Fill in the fields
4. Click the Create Article button
This creates an article in your knowledge base portal in Draft status.
How to integrate the Intercom with the Knowledge base?
Intercom works hand-in-hand with the Document360 app. Document360 users can incorporate the Intercom messenger into their knowledge base and add the Document360 app to their Intercom workspace to enjoy its full potential.
Step 1 - Get the Intercom app ID
The app ID, also called the workspace ID, is a unique alphanumeric code assigned to your intercom application at the time of creation.
There are two methods to acquire the app ID
Method 1 - Retrieving app ID from the address bar of the web browser
- Login to your Intercom account
- Now in the page URL, you can find the app ID after /apps/
In the above example, you can see that the unique app ID is o8nqlawz
Method 2 - Retrieving app ID from the Settings menu
- After logging in to your intercom workspace, place your mouse pointer on the profile icon in the bottom left corner of the navigation menu.
- Click Settings → Installation → Web
Refer to the below walkthrough GIF image for a better understanding.
Step 2 - Set up Intercom integration in Document360
- After you copy the Intercom App ID
- Head back to the Document360 Knowledge base portal,
- Go to Settings → Knowledge base site → Integrations
- Click on Add new integration button on the top and select Intercom
- In the description field, enter a name or any text
- In the Intercom ID field, paste the copied app ID
- Click Add
Once you have successfully integrated Intercom with the Document360 platform, the Intercom messenger icon is added to your Knowledge base site.