Readers self registration
The Readers self registration feature on Document360 would be applicable only when the knowledge base site access is set to Private or Mixed.
What is readers self registration?
Readers self registration allows a user to register themselves for a reader account instead of having to be invited by a project team member. Share your knowledge base site URL to the desired users who want to perform self registration.
Self registered readers are automatically added to the Readers list, and project members with access to the User & Security setting can edit or remove them if required.
How to self register for a knowledge base site?
- Go to the knowledge base site
- Click Self Signup?
- Enter First name, Last name, and Email. Click Register
- You will receive an invitation email
- Once the email is verified, you can set the password and log in to the knowledge base site
Accessing the Readers self registration overview page
Click on Settings → Users & Security → Readers and select the Readers self registration tab at the top of the knowledge base portal.
The readers self registration overview page appears.
• Allow self registration - Off
The overview page will be empty if the Allow self registration switch is set as Off. Users can have a private or mixed knowledge base without activating the readers self registration feature.
• Allow self registration - On
If the Allow self registration switch is set as On, the following information would be available in the overview.
1. Specify default reader group(s)
This is an optional field.
New self registered readers would automatically be grouped under these selected default reader group(s). If the reader's email domain is already mapped to any existing reader group, they would be associated accordingly.
- On the domain readers self registration page, click inside the field, and the list of the available reader group(s) will be listed
- Select one or more reader groups as the default reader group for new self registering readers
- The selected reader groups would be added to the field
- To remove any selected reader group, click on the 'x' icon next to it
- Click on the Save button when you're done
No default reader group selected
The self-registered reader will have no group associations if no default reader group is assigned.
2. Domain restriction
This is an optional field.
Configure the Document360 knowledge base to accept new readers self registrations with email addresses from a specific domain.
For example, If The XXYYZZ Company wanted to make sure that only their company employees were signing up as a reader for an internal knowledge base, they would add a domain restriction for their company email domain,
@babelcompany.com, and set the status as Allow.
Users can also configure the Document360 knowledge base to deny new readers self registrations with email addresses from a specific domain.
For example, If The XXYYZZ Company wanted to make sure that random or unauthorized users don't sign up as readers on the private knowledge base, they can add the domain restriction with block status. they would add a domain restriction for specific email domains like @gmail.com (or) @zzxxyy.com and set the status to Block
Adding a domain restriction
- From the knowledge base portal, go to Settings → Readers & groups → Readers self registration
- A Domain restriction section would be available when scrolled down
- If no domain restriction has been added yet, the page would be empty with a New domain button at the bottom.
The New domain button can be found on the top-right if previously added domain restrictions exist.
- An Add new domain restriction blade would open on the right
- Domain - Type in the email domain you wish to allow or block. Click on the column header to sort this column
For example, gmail.com, xxyyzz.com (Domains should include everything after the @ symbol in the email addresses)
- Allow/Block - Click the dropdown and select Allow or Block
To allow only the users with the desired domain emails to self register. All the other domain users cannot perform self registration.
To restrict the users with certain domain emails from self registration. However, when you have only blocked domains, self registration is restricted for all domain users.
- Map reader group(s) - The list of available reader groups would be listed under the List of reader groups column. Once selected, the reader group would move to the Selected reader groups column.
When a new readers self registers from the specific domain, they would automatically be a part of the selected reader group(s)
Once done, click on the Add button, and the domain will be added to the restriction list.
If both the Default reader group(s) and the
domain-specific reader group(s) are enabled, then domain-specific setting would take precedence over default reader groups.
Exporting domain restriction
You can export the domain restriction list as a CSV file.
- Click the Export CSV button next to the New domain button
- The CSV file would be generated and downloaded to your local storage
- This file can be viewed on any application for spreadsheets like Microsoft Excel and others